I don’t watch television (or more accurately: television shows on my computer) nearly as much as I watch films. Mind you, I don’t get to watch all the new theatrical releases that I want to in any given year, but I watch enough to get a good idea of the big picture or the “landscape” (as professional critics call it) for that year in cinema.
Conversely, my opinion of the TV landscape in 2013 is colored by how little I actually watched (relatively speaking). This was the first year I felt there was too much quality TV to keep up with. So with the disclaimer that I missed out on a lot of really good TV this year, here are my ten favorite TV shows of 2013:
- Game of Thrones, Season 3
- Mad Men, Season 6
- Orange Is the New Black, Season 1
- Arrested Development, Season 4
- Top of the Lake, Season 1
- 30 Rock, Season 7
- Enlightened, Season 2
- Breaking Bad, Season 5 (Part II)
- Boardwalk Empire, Season 4
- Girls, Season 2
- Parks and Recreation, Season 5
- Master Chef Junior, Season 1
- Homeland, Season 3
- Community, Season 4 (aka the not Dan Harmon season)
*Rankings are based on the particular season of the show that aired in 2013 (i.e., I think Mad Men is a better show than Game of Thrones, but Game of Thrones had the better season this year).
Top 10 Movies of 2013 coming late January. Need an extra month, per usual, to finish catching up.